Golders Green Crematorium
Golders Green Crematorium and Mausoleum was the first crematorium to be opened in London, and one of the oldest crematoria in Britain.
Golders Green Crematorium, the first purpose-designed crematorium 'within easy driving distance of London', was established by the London Cremation Society in 1902 on land it purchased in 1900.
The buildings, designed by Sir Ernest George and Alfred Yeates, were developed piecemeal from 1902 until the late 1920s, with the East Chapel by Mitchell and Bridgewater and the Philipson Mausoleum by Edwin Lutyens added in 1938.
The grounds are much like they were when first laid out by William Robinson. Open lawns face the Cloister, at one end of which is a rectangular lily pond and War Memorial of 1919/20. Woodland gardens have serpentine paths throughout and to the rear is a small water garden.
Among the sculptural features is a bronze sculpture by Henry Pegram, now in the Gertrude Jekyll garden. Many well-known people have been cremated here.
Contact Details
Hoop Lane, Golders Green, London, NW11 7NL
Tel: 020 8455 2374
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website: www.thelondoncremation.co.uk/golders-green-crematorium
